Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53741 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:32 - Jan 19 with 6472 viewsSuperfrans

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:28 - Jan 19 by BlueStreak

Surely by asking the questions that he did suggests he was considering going fishing again?! No evidence is required that said fishing took place, but that indeed Callis was happy to discard the welfare of the poor helpless fishy to enjoy an afternoon being 'chilled as f*ck'....

"considering". Maybe he considered, realised it would be hypocritical and thought again.

I'm sure you've thought hypocritical things, then thought better of it and decided otherwise. You are fully functioning and sentient being with your own moral code, after all... ;-)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:36 - Jan 19 with 6463 viewsThrobbe

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:59 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Ryorry only eats humane meat that was raised freely in a field of rainbows and fed a diet of candy corn before being sent on a spa weekend and killed with kindness right before the end of it's natural lifespan I believe.

You see, you're a decent person on most of the evidence, but this is where you're too black and white. I was veggie for the best part of 15-20 years, supported groups like the anti-vivisection league, was involved in hunt sabbing and was briefly vegan. I understand your position and am speaking from personal knowledge.

The reason I went vegan was that in absolute moral terms it was the only justifiable position, anything less is hypocritical, and even then you would need to ensure that the materials you were using had not harmed animals through pollution, loss of habitat and so on.

After about 3-4 weeks I just couldn't do it any more. That's not to say it was impossible, but that it meant too many changes to my lifestyle (and 15 years ago there was far less awareness of veganism and fewer options for food/clothing).

So I pretty much went into toddler mode and decided if I couldn't be vegan, I might as well not bother with animal welfare at all. Looking at it in another way, I went from doing more for animal welfare than most, but not all I could, right back to avoiding the issue.

Having grown up a bit, I consider veganism as one end of a virtuous spectrum, with complete ignorance of animal welfare at the other. I place in different places on that spectrum on different issues. I eat meat 2-3 times a week, but make an effort to use a local butcher that I trust to source the meat from somewhere that treats the animals better than some anonymous slaughterhouse. That's about where I'm comfortable being balanced against imposing my views on my family, or cooking and eatng separate meals, and it's better than not bothering at all or eating meat every day. I'm perfectly aware of what I'm eating, and would be prepared to butcher an animal myself, or gut fish rather than pretending it just comes pre-packed and the death is nothing to do with me. I'm trying to choose at the moment between my opposition to fishing and the fact that my 9 year old wants his dad to take him fishing, which I have fond memories of doing with my dad.

Ryorry and I were able to have a perfectly civil exchange some time ago where we agreed that if everyone moved slightly along that spectrum it would do more for the cause of animal welfare than a small percentage of people becoming vegan. If you genuinely want to improve animal welfare, concentrate your effort on making them aware of how to make that small change, rather than taking the binary view that it's all or nothing.

Dolly's original post is probably not far from the truth, people do make up their own moral justifications for the way they act, but if all you are doing is pushing them into hardening their resolve I have to question what you're trying to achieve?

TWTD Cycling Herbert

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:38 - Jan 19 with 6454 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:04 - Jan 19 by eireblue

I appreciate all you have said about your choices.

An interesting view about such farming may or may not be of interest.

https://brugesvegan.com/2017/11/25/pig-farmer-turns-vegan/

To save some time, the relevant quote from the ex-humane Pig farmer is

“Our customers loved to hear that the pigs had had “a good life” and how “humane” our meat was. But of course, they didn’t want to hear about the ugly side of raising the animals. If I’d told them that a mother sow didn’t want to be separated from her babies or that the pigs screamed with anguish as they were loaded onto the lorry bound for the abattoir, I wouldn’t have kept a single customer.”

*Swedish* farmer, not UK. And that sounds like bulk transport by a stranger, not exactly small-scale (except by comparison with factory farming of thousands perhaps).

One of the worst things HMG did back in the 90s tho, was shut down the smaller UK abbatoirs.

Always took my own pigs and lambs up to our local one - 3 stables round the back of the village butcher. They went up & in, quietly nosed around & then slept untroubled as if at home.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:42 - Jan 19 with 6435 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:36 - Jan 19 by Throbbe

You see, you're a decent person on most of the evidence, but this is where you're too black and white. I was veggie for the best part of 15-20 years, supported groups like the anti-vivisection league, was involved in hunt sabbing and was briefly vegan. I understand your position and am speaking from personal knowledge.

The reason I went vegan was that in absolute moral terms it was the only justifiable position, anything less is hypocritical, and even then you would need to ensure that the materials you were using had not harmed animals through pollution, loss of habitat and so on.

After about 3-4 weeks I just couldn't do it any more. That's not to say it was impossible, but that it meant too many changes to my lifestyle (and 15 years ago there was far less awareness of veganism and fewer options for food/clothing).

So I pretty much went into toddler mode and decided if I couldn't be vegan, I might as well not bother with animal welfare at all. Looking at it in another way, I went from doing more for animal welfare than most, but not all I could, right back to avoiding the issue.

Having grown up a bit, I consider veganism as one end of a virtuous spectrum, with complete ignorance of animal welfare at the other. I place in different places on that spectrum on different issues. I eat meat 2-3 times a week, but make an effort to use a local butcher that I trust to source the meat from somewhere that treats the animals better than some anonymous slaughterhouse. That's about where I'm comfortable being balanced against imposing my views on my family, or cooking and eatng separate meals, and it's better than not bothering at all or eating meat every day. I'm perfectly aware of what I'm eating, and would be prepared to butcher an animal myself, or gut fish rather than pretending it just comes pre-packed and the death is nothing to do with me. I'm trying to choose at the moment between my opposition to fishing and the fact that my 9 year old wants his dad to take him fishing, which I have fond memories of doing with my dad.

Ryorry and I were able to have a perfectly civil exchange some time ago where we agreed that if everyone moved slightly along that spectrum it would do more for the cause of animal welfare than a small percentage of people becoming vegan. If you genuinely want to improve animal welfare, concentrate your effort on making them aware of how to make that small change, rather than taking the binary view that it's all or nothing.

Dolly's original post is probably not far from the truth, people do make up their own moral justifications for the way they act, but if all you are doing is pushing them into hardening their resolve I have to question what you're trying to achieve?

My perspective exactly, thank you for putting it far better than I managed to!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:43 - Jan 19 with 6433 viewsJ2BLUE

Having grown up a bit, I consider veganism as one end of a virtuous spectrum, with complete ignorance of animal welfare at the other. I place in different places on that spectrum on different issues.

Sounds like a grey area

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:46 - Jan 19 with 6419 viewsitfcjoe

Best post I've read on the matter

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:48 - Jan 19 with 6416 viewsusm

Agreed, I am a hypocrite.

Im also a liar, a racist, a sexist and an ageist.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:50 - Jan 19 with 6405 viewsBlueStreak

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:32 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

"considering". Maybe he considered, realised it would be hypocritical and thought again.

I'm sure you've thought hypocritical things, then thought better of it and decided otherwise. You are fully functioning and sentient being with your own moral code, after all... ;-)

I agree, hence why I don't preach and am fully aware that everything isn't just black or white.....
Login to get fewer ads

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:50 - Jan 19 with 6405 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:04 - Jan 19 by eireblue

I appreciate all you have said about your choices.

An interesting view about such farming may or may not be of interest.

https://brugesvegan.com/2017/11/25/pig-farmer-turns-vegan/

To save some time, the relevant quote from the ex-humane Pig farmer is

“Our customers loved to hear that the pigs had had “a good life” and how “humane” our meat was. But of course, they didn’t want to hear about the ugly side of raising the animals. If I’d told them that a mother sow didn’t want to be separated from her babies or that the pigs screamed with anguish as they were loaded onto the lorry bound for the abattoir, I wouldn’t have kept a single customer.”

I've had a read of that. It's rather vague and from a vegan site. I'd need to look into it in more depth.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:51 - Jan 19 with 6401 viewsSuperfrans

Excellent, sensible, grown up post. Good stuff.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:58 - Jan 19 with 6378 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:50 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

I've had a read of that. It's rather vague and from a vegan site. I'd need to look into it in more depth.

Lots of stories available from the link I posted earlier.

https://freefromharm.org/animal-products-and-ethics/former-meat-dairy-farmers-be

The original article not from a vegan web site may require Google Translate, if you don't read Swedish.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/debatt/a/1Qw6K/jag-gick-fran-att-vara-grisbonde--till

The thing I find interesting with the list of stories, is that they follow a similar trajectory, that I went on, a long time ago, except I was never a farmer, but I have family that were.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:00 - Jan 19 with 6374 viewsimsureazzure

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:02 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

I used to eat meat. I also used to believe in Santa.

'Really enjoyed it, was chilled as f'.'

Give it another go.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:04 - Jan 19 with 6354 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:00 - Jan 19 by imsureazzure

'Really enjoyed it, was chilled as f'.'

Give it another go.

Give what another go? Changing my views by taking in new information?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:08 - Jan 19 with 6336 viewsDarth_Koont

"if everyone moved slightly along that spectrum it would do more for the cause of animal welfare than a small percentage of people becoming vegan. If you genuinely want to improve animal welfare, concentrate your effort on making them aware of how to make that small change, rather than taking the binary view that it's all or nothing."

Well said. That will stick with me and seems to reflect the steps our own family has taken due to the coaxing of our youngest daughter. Also a perfect time for me to leave the current debate behind.

Pronouns: He/Him

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:08 - Jan 19 with 6332 viewsThrobbe

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:43 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

Having grown up a bit, I consider veganism as one end of a virtuous spectrum, with complete ignorance of animal welfare at the other. I place in different places on that spectrum on different issues.

Sounds like a grey area

Life's full of them. ;)

TWTD Cycling Herbert

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:15 - Jan 19 with 6306 viewslocalboy78

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:23 - Jan 19 with 6277 viewsjaseitfc

Massive irony here, but really not surprised at all

BrixtonBlue accused me of "starting trouble" and trying to start an argument for offering different opinions to Callis the other day.

I don't know how old you are Brixton but maturity will come soon enough, your mentality reminds me of myself when I was in the first year of uni about 10 years ago.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:24 - Jan 19 with 6274 viewsjaseitfc

are you Callis?
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:26 - Jan 19 with 6259 viewsjaseitfc

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 11:13 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Preach.

Queue triggered meat eaters!

You'll probably lazily and ignorantly call me ignorant like you did before but you guys put meat in my head by constantly going on about it - I didn't see any vegan social media posts yesterday and actually didn't eat any meat, I've seen this today and now actually fancy a burger - your failing :)
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:27 - Jan 19 with 6259 viewslocalboy78

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:24 - Jan 19 by jaseitfc

are you Callis?

(Edit. Sorry,wasn't supposed to be a response to you. Of course I'm not Callis. I'm marvin Gaye.)
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 15:28]
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:43 - Jan 19 with 6224 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:23 - Jan 19 by jaseitfc

Massive irony here, but really not surprised at all

BrixtonBlue accused me of "starting trouble" and trying to start an argument for offering different opinions to Callis the other day.

I don't know how old you are Brixton but maturity will come soon enough, your mentality reminds me of myself when I was in the first year of uni about 10 years ago.

I think you've interpreted things somewhat differently to the reality there. I've nothing against alternative opinions if they're valid and put in a reasonable way. From what I recall, yours were silly whataboutery.

Ironically, saying someone must be young as they're so immature is immature in itself.

Feel free to tell me which bits of my OP are immature, Captain Sensible.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 6221 viewslocalboy78

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:27 - Jan 19 by localboy78

(Edit. Sorry,wasn't supposed to be a response to you. Of course I'm not Callis. I'm marvin Gaye.)
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 15:28]

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:56 - Jan 19 with 6197 viewsjaseitfc

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:43 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

I think you've interpreted things somewhat differently to the reality there. I've nothing against alternative opinions if they're valid and put in a reasonable way. From what I recall, yours were silly whataboutery.

Ironically, saying someone must be young as they're so immature is immature in itself.

Feel free to tell me which bits of my OP are immature, Captain Sensible.

I didn't read your opinion to be honest, I know all the arguments, you could tell me I'll start pooping gold if I stop drinking milk and I wouldn't care, and further to that I just interpret your post as trying to wind people up on here unnecessarily.

Your sign off "captain sensible" confirms my view of you - how old are you out of curiosity?

Isnt the phone data or laptop battery you are using to write these terrible posts causing something unethical to happen? I really wish not using message boards was a central tenant of veganism
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:10 - Jan 19 with 6171 viewsitfcjoe

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:04 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Give what another go? Changing my views by taking in new information?

I find the bringing up of old posts against you tiresome in this respect - think it adds no real value as changing your mind and your ways is allowed and to be expected

Just thought I'd say something positive for once, even though I don't think you are getting unfairly treated.......!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 16:19 - Jan 19 with 6151 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:56 - Jan 19 by jaseitfc

I didn't read your opinion to be honest, I know all the arguments, you could tell me I'll start pooping gold if I stop drinking milk and I wouldn't care, and further to that I just interpret your post as trying to wind people up on here unnecessarily.

Your sign off "captain sensible" confirms my view of you - how old are you out of curiosity?

Isnt the phone data or laptop battery you are using to write these terrible posts causing something unethical to happen? I really wish not using message boards was a central tenant of veganism

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024