Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter 13:21 - Apr 9 with 8490 viewsgalacticoblue

...wow - so much disrepectful sh*te going around - its pretty shocking.

I know Twitter isn't representative of the whole population, but f** me, people can be terrible.
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:42 - Apr 9 with 1136 viewsIP4_Blue

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:27 - Apr 9 by SpruceMoose

I don't think it's that controversial to say that you are clearly an idiot if you genuinely believe poor people are poor mainly because they don't try hard enough to be rich.

Not even our sensible right leaning posters will be rushing to back you up on that opinion I'm afraid. Not in public at least, and certainly not before the fifth scotch of the night.

I actually thought I was being charitable to say you were trolling rather than to suggest you're likely a stone cold moron who is as much an accountant as I am an astronaut.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 14:29]

Everybody's circumstances are different. My missus is a health visitor who see's some awful things where parents are on drugs children on child protection schemes, it is really sad. I do not believe poor people are poor because they don't try hard enough, I just believe this country gives everyone an opportunity. I hope some of the people that my missus sees can get help and get a normal life as possible
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:43 - Apr 9 with 1129 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:36 - Apr 9 by IP4_Blue

The parents i mean

And how exactly should they help themselves? You've acknowledged not everyone can be rich. We have a society with a large proportion of the workforce earn minimum wage or barely above it. People in these jobs are working hard, in the pandemic they were the people selling you your groceries and packing and delivering your Amazon orders.

Society needs these people but they don't earn enough to maintain a reasonable standard of living without government support. Meanwhile your banker mates create more wealth for the wealthy and get paid a fortune. But those jobs are scarce and society wouldn't function if we had more bankers than carers or shop workers or delivery drivers.

What's your solution, caller?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:44 - Apr 9 with 1129 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:39 - Apr 9 by GaryCooper

Life just slips through your impossibly smooth hands.

Just as the point invariably slips through yours, Gary. We know you don't get it. We've been here before.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:46 - Apr 9 with 1107 viewsRyorry

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:31 - Apr 9 by borge

Totally and completely agree with the first sentence. Partially disagree with the second and third.

It isn't ever that black and white but rather than trying to persuade with logical arguments, as a society we now seem to have become entrenched in an 'us' and 'them' narrative that is usually totally false.

There are plenty of thick voters on all sides of the political spectrum just as there are plenty of smart ones. Just because people take views that are contrary to your own, doesn't mean they are less intelligent but labelling them so means you are a whole heap less likely to be able to persuade them of the logic of your own arguments, no matter how correct/sensible/ethical they may be.

*This*!

Esp your last para, I've been trying to express that point succinctly for years but always failed, so cheers!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:03 - Apr 9 with 1071 viewsborge

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:46 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

*This*!

Esp your last para, I've been trying to express that point succinctly for years but always failed, so cheers!

Without now wishing to do the very same thing I am accusing others of (i.e. tarring everyone with a certain attitude/thought process with the same brush), it is just such a stupid thing to do.

I would say I sit very firmly centre ground with most of my own political views, with certain things veering off fairly far to the left and some things somewhat to the right and I understand that there is no black and white answer to everything. The sooner people 'reset' their thinking and realise that persuasion has a greater chance of success than hate, the better.

It pains me to come on here and see people being so entrenched in their views and so vitriolic, not least because when you get them talking about things that aren't political they are clearly very nice and decent people!
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:07 - Apr 9 with 1044 viewschicoazul

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:21 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

No, everyone doesn't have opportunity in this country. Not in any meaningful way. Social mobility in the UK is shocking: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52982440

But if you're cool with kids living in poverty and those kids having significant damage done to their life chances as a result then you do you, mate. It does rather reinforce my initial point though.

Social mobility is shocking agreed, certainly since the left wing red and blue started closing grammar schools and moving to “comprehensive” education

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:08 - Apr 9 with 1048 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:07 - Apr 9 by chicoazul

Social mobility is shocking agreed, certainly since the left wing red and blue started closing grammar schools and moving to “comprehensive” education

Yeah that's definitely what did it.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:09 - Apr 9 with 1041 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:03 - Apr 9 by borge

Without now wishing to do the very same thing I am accusing others of (i.e. tarring everyone with a certain attitude/thought process with the same brush), it is just such a stupid thing to do.

I would say I sit very firmly centre ground with most of my own political views, with certain things veering off fairly far to the left and some things somewhat to the right and I understand that there is no black and white answer to everything. The sooner people 'reset' their thinking and realise that persuasion has a greater chance of success than hate, the better.

It pains me to come on here and see people being so entrenched in their views and so vitriolic, not least because when you get them talking about things that aren't political they are clearly very nice and decent people!

Many of us have tried persuading people that a basic level of empathy and compassion is a good thing. It's proven to be a fruitless task.

Login to get fewer ads

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:10 - Apr 9 with 1046 viewsGlasgowBlue

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 13:27 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. Probably best to avoid tw@tter today. The trolls will be out in full force.

That said, this was unexpected and rather surreal.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:10 - Apr 9 with 1028 viewsstantheman

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 13:35 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

There are literally millions of tweets depicting and about millions of very good things by millions of great people on twitter today. It's extremely easy to avoid those feature Prince Philip and trolls - if you want to.

I have managed to avoid the whole tw@tter thing completely. I do not want to listen to a load of nobodies peddling their thoughts.
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:13 - Apr 9 with 1020 viewschicoazul

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:08 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

Yeah that's definitely what did it.

It’s definitely part of it, probably a large part. Once upon a time St Andrew’s Oxford Cambridge and LSE were full of working class kids from grammars who went on into very well paid jobs in the civil service finance insurance industry teaching and medicine.
As Hannibal Lecter once said; not anymore.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:15 - Apr 9 with 1012 viewsBlueWorldOrder

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 14:17 - Apr 9 by Ryorry

"you are obviously assuming I'm a racist which is poor form."

I didn't assume any such thing, I did in fact think you meant, as you yourself said just now, that "that their voters vote to punish the immigrants".

I just thought your post would be better & clearer without the reference.

I am sorry, I am not always good at understanding online communication. I am a paid up and active member of the Labour Party. I am not a racist!

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:15 - Apr 9 with 1013 viewschicoazul

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:10 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

Best check the corpse for pallonium just to be sure.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:20 - Apr 9 with 1003 viewsDarth_Koont

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 13:51 - Apr 9 by IP4_Blue

We are not going to agree!

Unfortunately there will always be poor people and rich people whoever is in government.

With that attitude, yes.

But having a rich country and yet 4 million kids living in poverty is a choice. A conscious or unconscious choice, but certainly not an inevitability.

Pronouns: He/Him

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:24 - Apr 9 with 988 viewsfooters

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:10 - Apr 9 by GlasgowBlue

"Great nephew of the last Tsarina Alexandra, sister of his grandmother Victoria of Battenberg."

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:37 - Apr 9 with 938 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:13 - Apr 9 by chicoazul

It’s definitely part of it, probably a large part. Once upon a time St Andrew’s Oxford Cambridge and LSE were full of working class kids from grammars who went on into very well paid jobs in the civil service finance insurance industry teaching and medicine.
As Hannibal Lecter once said; not anymore.

I can't find any evidence to back up those claims.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:46 - Apr 9 with 918 viewsborge

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:09 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

Many of us have tried persuading people that a basic level of empathy and compassion is a good thing. It's proven to be a fruitless task.

I can sense that there are many on here who are tired of trying, but the whole damn world will implode if we all take the line that the only way to get things done is to force others to fall in line with our views. I don't have the answer, but just don't think it is hate/vitriol.
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:57 - Apr 9 with 898 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:46 - Apr 9 by borge

I can sense that there are many on here who are tired of trying, but the whole damn world will implode if we all take the line that the only way to get things done is to force others to fall in line with our views. I don't have the answer, but just don't think it is hate/vitriol.

Well I asked this IP4 chap how he reconciles his view that people need to 'do more' to get out of poverty with the reality that our society has millions of jobs that scarcely (if at all) pay a living wage despite being jobs that are very necessary for society to function. If we need people to do these low paid jobs then it's not a solution to say people need to find higher paying jobs. He seems to have ignored that post though.

And generally this is what happens when you try to actually engage people like the poster in question. They go quiet, because they don't really care about the issues at stake and have no real interest in having to challenge their own thinking. It's much easier to trot out soundbites about equality of opportunity and needing to work harder.

It's quite frustrating and when you reach the inevitable conclusion that people like this poster don't really care about people living in poverty then you tend to also conclude they just aren't decent people.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:13 - Apr 9 with 865 viewsphillev231069

On a personal level I don't give a toss about the Royal family on a daily basis but at the end of the day he was a Husband, Grandfather etc and regardless of who they are they are a family in mourning and deserve some respect at this time, shame people have nothing else to do really!
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 16:15]
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:16 - Apr 9 with 852 viewsMJR101

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:15 - Apr 9 by chicoazul

Best check the corpse for pallonium just to be sure.

Sorry, downvoted by mistake
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:19 - Apr 9 with 840 viewsIP4_Blue

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 15:57 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

Well I asked this IP4 chap how he reconciles his view that people need to 'do more' to get out of poverty with the reality that our society has millions of jobs that scarcely (if at all) pay a living wage despite being jobs that are very necessary for society to function. If we need people to do these low paid jobs then it's not a solution to say people need to find higher paying jobs. He seems to have ignored that post though.

And generally this is what happens when you try to actually engage people like the poster in question. They go quiet, because they don't really care about the issues at stake and have no real interest in having to challenge their own thinking. It's much easier to trot out soundbites about equality of opportunity and needing to work harder.

It's quite frustrating and when you reach the inevitable conclusion that people like this poster don't really care about people living in poverty then you tend to also conclude they just aren't decent people.

What is your solution then?

Mate you don't know me i am a decent person, if there is an answer to end poverty i/m all ears but i'm sorry but people on here just attack you because you have a different opinion
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:22 - Apr 9 with 823 viewsHerbivore

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:19 - Apr 9 by IP4_Blue

What is your solution then?

Mate you don't know me i am a decent person, if there is an answer to end poverty i/m all ears but i'm sorry but people on here just attack you because you have a different opinion

The solution is to vote for political parties that aren't solely interested in preserving the wealth of them and their mates. Vote for parties with more progressive policies that are likely to help eradicate poverty. Don't vote Tory.

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:24 - Apr 9 with 818 viewsIP4_Blue

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:22 - Apr 9 by Herbivore

The solution is to vote for political parties that aren't solely interested in preserving the wealth of them and their mates. Vote for parties with more progressive policies that are likely to help eradicate poverty. Don't vote Tory.

So if you vote for Labour and Labour get in there will be no poverty?

I am afraid ending poverty is not as simple as who you vote for
reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:27 - Apr 9 with 806 viewsSpruceMoose

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:24 - Apr 9 by IP4_Blue

Perhaps if you set out why you vote the way you do people might be better placed to see what you're getting at.

What are the Conservative Party doing to reduce the poverty gap in any way, shape or form? To me, it looks like the answer is a very simple 'nothing', but as you vote for them perhaps you have some kind of insight I don't have.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:31 - Apr 9 with 876 viewsjeera

reading prince Phillip stuff on Twitter on 16:24 - Apr 9 by IP4_Blue

Just to be clear, so not to see you misrepresented here.

You are not suggesting there is no correlation between parties, their policies and poverty are you?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024