Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fan base 12:11 - Aug 18 with 8001 viewsBelsteadCav

I honestly think it’s now one of the worst in the country

I couldn’t believe some of the comments on Twitter last night, worse than hurst, cook out, it’s time to go!

It’s just embarrassing. Saturday will be a horrible atmosphere, I just know it.

We used to have one of the best fan bases around, but we are a shadow of our former selves. If we go behind on Saturday, God help us

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Our fan base on 15:50 - Aug 18 with 1236 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 15:45 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

The credit in the bank is utter BS. Winning the FA Cup in 1990 was the huge thing for Fergie and it saved his job, but it was the league title they dearly wanted, so based on his league campaigns they would’ve been well in their rights to sack him. The board gave him the time, but he needed to get Atkinson’s lads out of the club and change the culture and that took time. I think they hung their hat on the fact he was a successful manager at Aberdeen and in a way I think that’s why I’m prepared to give Cook more time.

He came in and success straight away, for the best part of two seasons.

That alongside what he'd done at Aberdeen gave him credit in the bank.

If you can't see that there is no hope - he earned the right to revamp the club, as most managers have to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our fan base on 15:51 - Aug 18 with 1236 viewsjayessess

Our fan base on 15:45 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

The credit in the bank is utter BS. Winning the FA Cup in 1990 was the huge thing for Fergie and it saved his job, but it was the league title they dearly wanted, so based on his league campaigns they would’ve been well in their rights to sack him. The board gave him the time, but he needed to get Atkinson’s lads out of the club and change the culture and that took time. I think they hung their hat on the fact he was a successful manager at Aberdeen and in a way I think that’s why I’m prepared to give Cook more time.

2nd was their highest league finish since 1980! Of course it was credit in the bank!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Our fan base on 15:52 - Aug 18 with 1234 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 15:42 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

1st season
Appointed when 21st in league in November - finished 11th
How is that a poor season?!

2nd season finished 2nd

So he had 2 good seasons to start with, he did not have a poor start as United manager he had 50-60 games of really good form to give him credit in the bank

They finished 11th Joe, regardless that they were 21st. Fergie took over at United in November 1986, he had more than half the season, we aren’t talking about the last half a dozen games he had to work the oracle. Is that a good season? I’m sure if you asked many United fans they’d chuckle at that suggestion. So then how do you explain the two poor seasons after they finished 2nd? The FA Cup win in 1990 against Palace saved his bacon, not credit in the bank.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our fan base on 15:52 - Aug 18 with 1230 viewsDecageBruce

I don’t do Twitter and tend to ignore Facebook as well. My primary source of all ITFC is TWTD which does appear more reasoned than most (most the time).

For me, the current negativity is like the ‘good old days’ where the game would finish and you’d go for a pint or 3 and all chat it out. There were always the few that were extreme one way or another and usually the loudest at the bar. The difference then was you could choose to zone out (which you can now, I.e ignore Twitter) but also you could walk away/head home and forget/laugh about what’s you’d heard. With all social media it hangs about and other like minded people grab onto it, escalate it and make it ‘relevant’ when in truth (most of the time) it is a small vocal minority enjoying the sound of their own voice.

My take on it is that we have a total new group/approach/methodology that we are trying to embed. We would all like things to have looked better but some of the players last night have not even stepped foot on the training ground together ffs. Cooke has pedigree, some of the players look very good and, I’ll risk saying, exciting. However, no league is easy regardless of the standard and I believe the owners a realists and have previously stated that there is a plan and budget to ‘build’. Providing the online noise doesn’t spread to toxicity at PR then I think we have a structure that won’t panic too soon but will also be strong enough should they feel progress is not what they require
Our fan base on 15:54 - Aug 18 with 1226 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 15:51 - Aug 18 by jayessess

2nd was their highest league finish since 1980! Of course it was credit in the bank!

The FA Cup win saved him, not finishing 2nd in the league.

Our fan base on 15:55 - Aug 18 with 1219 viewsKropotkin123

Our fan base on 12:49 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

Can we have some examples of managers having slow starts and turning it round? Because often that isn't the case - 99% of the time they've achieved someting quite quickly to get some credit in the bank before maybe having a rockier patch - is certainly the case re Robson here who came in and made an instant impact in retaining out 1st Division status

Ferguson another one who gets cited, he came in when united were 2nd bottom in November, took them to 11th and then finished 2nd the year after.

This isn't to say Cook is going to fail, I think he'll have success - but when a manager has no impact and fails to meet expectations consistently it isn't just a slow start

George Burley got relegated and eventually got us up and into Europe. There were even specific seasons where we started slowly and made the play-offs.

Just fact checking myself on PoA...

98-99 3D 1L
97-98 2D 1L

When he started he had that club record breaking run of not scoring and eight straight loses, including the 9-0 against Man Utd. He did nothing of note to prevent our relegation.

Blackpool lost five of their first seven last season, including a 4-1 loss to us. We start well, whereas they could only manage one win and one draw in that time.

Slow starts happen all the time. That's not to suggest this one is guaranteed to turn around.

As I said yesterday though, I'm disappointed and gutted about they way we started. But I'm not going to make up "facts" about the 99%.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Our fan base on 16:01 - Aug 18 with 1190 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 15:55 - Aug 18 by Kropotkin123

George Burley got relegated and eventually got us up and into Europe. There were even specific seasons where we started slowly and made the play-offs.

Just fact checking myself on PoA...

98-99 3D 1L
97-98 2D 1L

When he started he had that club record breaking run of not scoring and eight straight loses, including the 9-0 against Man Utd. He did nothing of note to prevent our relegation.

Blackpool lost five of their first seven last season, including a 4-1 loss to us. We start well, whereas they could only manage one win and one draw in that time.

Slow starts happen all the time. That's not to suggest this one is guaranteed to turn around.

As I said yesterday though, I'm disappointed and gutted about they way we started. But I'm not going to make up "facts" about the 99%.

I'm not talking about a slow start to the season, I'm talking about as a manager at the club

Burley is one who did, but we were down when he was appointed, there was no expectation of him keeping us up, no real short term target for him to hit to prove himself.

Our fan base on 16:02 - Aug 18 with 1187 viewsjayessess

Our fan base on 15:54 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

The FA Cup win saved him, not finishing 2nd in the league.

To win the FA Cup in 1990, he needed to still be in post in 1990, which he wouldn't have been if he hadn't improved their league position in 1987 and 1988. It's definitively not an example of a good managerial reign that started with deterioration.

Login to get fewer ads

Our fan base on 16:05 - Aug 18 with 1167 viewsMach_foreignBlue

'most of fanbases are like that'

Ours is exceptional though. It's unique. They had clapped and cheered Lambert, Chambers and the rest of them for the relegation and its manner.

Today some are slating the new crew, both playing and coaching stuff after a handful of games.

Remarkable to put it politely.
Our fan base on 16:10 - Aug 18 with 1163 viewsnoggin

Last night, in spells, I saw some of the best football I've seen from a Town team for well over a decade. For me, that is enough evidence of the club on the up. Believe me, by Christmas we will bw top 6 and playing teams off the park.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Our fan base on 16:13 - Aug 18 with 1149 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 16:10 - Aug 18 by noggin

Last night, in spells, I saw some of the best football I've seen from a Town team for well over a decade. For me, that is enough evidence of the club on the up. Believe me, by Christmas we will bw top 6 and playing teams off the park.

We played at a nice tempo at times and that was promising started second half very well, but didn't create enough chances, did their keeper make any saves? How can that be described as 'best football' etc?

Our fan base on 16:15 - Aug 18 with 1136 viewstrncbluearmy

On the internet yes,
for those of us that spend more time in the real world it`s one of the best
Our fan base on 16:16 - Aug 18 with 1131 viewsnoggin

Our fan base on 16:13 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

We played at a nice tempo at times and that was promising started second half very well, but didn't create enough chances, did their keeper make any saves? How can that be described as 'best football' etc?

During the best spell we scored one and should have scored another.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Our fan base on 16:27 - Aug 18 with 1100 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 16:02 - Aug 18 by jayessess

To win the FA Cup in 1990, he needed to still be in post in 1990, which he wouldn't have been if he hadn't improved their league position in 1987 and 1988. It's definitively not an example of a good managerial reign that started with deterioration.

United finished 4th in 1985-86 season under Atkinson, under Fergie in 1986-87 they finished 11th whether or not Fergie took them over in a struggling position. We can keep massaging it to suit our own agendas, but for for me it shows a less than impressive start in the league from 3 of his 4 seasons in charge - mediocre in fact. They were hoping he would deliver because of his pedigree and managerial record at Aberdeen, he’d proved himself in a very competitive Scottish League and were prepared to give him the time, not due to the fact he finished 2nd in the league for one season.

Our fan base on 16:45 - Aug 18 with 1070 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 15:50 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

He came in and success straight away, for the best part of two seasons.

That alongside what he'd done at Aberdeen gave him credit in the bank.

If you can't see that there is no hope - he earned the right to revamp the club, as most managers have to

If Fergie deserved time based on his managerial record at Aberdeen, then why doesn’t Cook based on what he has done in his previous managerial roles? He’s not had 1 failure. The situation with Fergie and Cook is completely different, but you do appear to have made your mind up regarding Cook’s future here which is sad to read especially with your social media influence.

Our fan base on 16:51 - Aug 18 with 1058 viewsjayessess

Our fan base on 16:27 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

United finished 4th in 1985-86 season under Atkinson, under Fergie in 1986-87 they finished 11th whether or not Fergie took them over in a struggling position. We can keep massaging it to suit our own agendas, but for for me it shows a less than impressive start in the league from 3 of his 4 seasons in charge - mediocre in fact. They were hoping he would deliver because of his pedigree and managerial record at Aberdeen, he’d proved himself in a very competitive Scottish League and were prepared to give him the time, not due to the fact he finished 2nd in the league for one season.

Or you could just accept the empirical fact that 11th is an improvement on 21st and 2nd represented Manchester United's best season for a very long time and move on?

Our fan base on 16:58 - Aug 18 with 1044 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 16:45 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

If Fergie deserved time based on his managerial record at Aberdeen, then why doesn’t Cook based on what he has done in his previous managerial roles? He’s not had 1 failure. The situation with Fergie and Cook is completely different, but you do appear to have made your mind up regarding Cook’s future here which is sad to read especially with your social media influence.

You could just try reading what is written, what is being debated and then understand it opposed to projecting opinions on to me

Our fan base on 17:03 - Aug 18 with 1025 viewsHerbivore

Our fan base on 16:58 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

You could just try reading what is written, what is being debated and then understand it opposed to projecting opinions on to me

You've been well and truly Christianed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our fan base on 17:04 - Aug 18 with 1024 viewsMullet

You need to go to away games or look at other fans on social media etc then. The biggest problem has been this sort of divisiveness.

Those that even up until kick off were giving it the same tired and obnoxious “positive or shut up” routine and then start to criticise the team are the worst, and there’s barely handful of them. The ghostly Cook Out brigade they’ve been hunting was tiresome enough, but all we’ve really got us a few hypocrites and idiots finally trying to reposition themselves because being the loudest voices in a majority is all they have.

Generally most fans have tried to have a decent debate and a few have been driven off by these gobsh1tes, or just diluted. That’s all.

Cook has done badly. Hopes have been raised. At plenty of other clubs you’d have protests and bedsheets by now, because the disappointment of last season bleeding into this one would set off the minority.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Our fan base on 17:05 - Aug 18 with 1019 viewsKropotkin123

Our fan base on 16:01 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

I'm not talking about a slow start to the season, I'm talking about as a manager at the club

Burley is one who did, but we were down when he was appointed, there was no expectation of him keeping us up, no real short term target for him to hit to prove himself.

Sheffield Utd. 2016-17. New manager. Finished 11th the season before. Expecting promotion. 1 point from first 4 games. Promoted with 100 points.

Happened in the past 5 years. Slow managerial starts are not as uncommon as you are presenting with your 99%.

This is not the same as saying it will work out for us.

I gave you an example with Burley and then you make up more clauses to fit your narrative.

I don't have a plethora of examples from other clubs, just Blackpool and Sheffield Utd, that are two, from this league, in the last 5 years. Reason being is I follow Ipswich closely, and not other teams.

For me, this seems fairly common. Common enough to not pay much attention and common enough to give you multiple examples. Certainly not worthy of a "99%" made up "fact".

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Our fan base on 17:09 - Aug 18 with 1000 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 17:05 - Aug 18 by Kropotkin123

Sheffield Utd. 2016-17. New manager. Finished 11th the season before. Expecting promotion. 1 point from first 4 games. Promoted with 100 points.

Happened in the past 5 years. Slow managerial starts are not as uncommon as you are presenting with your 99%.

I gave you an example with Burley and then you make up more clauses to fit your narrative.

I don't have a plethora of examples from other clubs, just Blackpool and Sheffield Utd, that are two, from this league, in the last 5 years. Reason being is I follow Ipswich closely, and not other teams.

For me, this seems fairly common. Common enough to not pay much attention and common enough to give you multiple examples. Certainly not worthy of a "99%" made up "fact".

Spot on, it’s pointless actually giving suggestions unless it agrees with their narrative, they don’t like it otherwise.

Our fan base on 17:14 - Aug 18 with 980 viewsitfcjoe

“ Some of the greatest managers in the game had very slow starts at their clubs.”

This just isn’t the case. No great managers, who went on to have great careers at their good jobs started so badly - they all built up credit in the bank.

I wouldn’t put Cook near to the category yet, of having had a poor start as is still very early days. But if it gets to January/February time, and we aren’t close to looking like we will achieve objectives then a year into the job if the manager has got nowhere then they just aren’t going to.

Our fan base on 17:21 - Aug 18 with 958 viewsChrisd

Our fan base on 17:14 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

“ Some of the greatest managers in the game had very slow starts at their clubs.”

This just isn’t the case. No great managers, who went on to have great careers at their good jobs started so badly - they all built up credit in the bank.

I wouldn’t put Cook near to the category yet, of having had a poor start as is still very early days. But if it gets to January/February time, and we aren’t close to looking like we will achieve objectives then a year into the job if the manager has got nowhere then they just aren’t going to.

You keep going on about credit in the bank. How has Cook ‘NOT’ got credit in the bank based on what he has done at Chesterfield, Portsmouth, Wigan etc and the promotions he’s achieved? If anything based on the successes at those clubs he deserves much longer to turn things around. Seems like the credit in the bank is based purely on what club he is managing at the time, not what he has done in the past. So which one is it, so I’ve got clarity?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 17:25]

Our fan base on 17:23 - Aug 18 with 951 viewsjayessess

Chris Wilder wasn't in charge of that 2015-16 season, Nigel Adkins was.

Our fan base on 17:24 - Aug 18 with 951 viewsitfcjoe

Our fan base on 17:21 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

You keep going on about credit in the bank. How has Cook ‘NOT’ got credit in the bank based on what he has done at Chesterfield, Portsmouth, Wigan etc and the promotions he’s achieved? If anything based on the successes at those clubs he deserves much longer to turn things around. Seems like the credit in the bank is based purely on what club he is managing at the time, not what he has done in the past. So which one is it, so I’ve got clarity?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2021 17:25]

Of course he has to get credit in the bank at the club he is CURRENTLY MANAGING, to show the fans of that club what he can do.

If we are 13th in January no Ipswich fan is going to give a toss that he did a good job at Wigan 3 years before

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024