Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis 07:19 - Nov 26 with 7427 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If we take it that Evans won’t be as patient as last year with Lambert of current results continue to disappoint as Phil has suggested. So we bring in someone new by late December/January. We’re around the playoffs let’s say for this scenario, maybe just outside them. But crucially top 2 is getting away from us. Who do we go for?

In no particular options, here are 5 of the names mentioned most for the job and a bit about them from yours truly.

1) Paul Cook - Seems to have improved the more experience hes gained. Didn’t do much early in his managerial career other than an Irish league title. More recently.. took Chesterfield up to league 1 and then got them in the playoffs the following year. Followed that up by winning League 2 with Portsmouth. Followed that up by winning league 1 with Wigan. Had them comfortably mid table last season but their off field problems resulted in them being relegated.

Pros - Knows how to win and get results and can deal with the expectations of big clubs who need promotion. Also said to play a good brand of football. Is currently available.

Cons - Could he now be deemed better than us? He may be waiting for a championship club to come along. Also, by the time we act with Lambert, he could’ve already been snapped up.

2) Danny Cowley - Smashed it as a non league manager at Concord and Braintree. Seemed to be well worth a punt for a league team and Lincoln gave him the chance. Did really well at Lincoln to take them from the conference up to League 1. Also, did well in the cups. Eventually went to Huddersfield but things never worked out there.

Pros - Has plenty of promotions on his CV. Will take the cups seriously (not relevant for this season though). Seemed to create a real togetherness at Lincoln. Is currently available.

Cons - Football is very direct. Hasn’t actually won a promotion from this division or better at any point in his career. Comes on the back of a failed time at Huddersfield in the championship.

3) Lee Johnson - Still relatively inexperienced in number of clubs having only managed Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City. Seems to be a marmite manager for most people with some thinking he’s top quality and others seeing him as useless. It’s probably somewhere in the middle. Seems to be able to build clubs but hasn’t shown the ability to bring any real success to any of the three he’s managed.

Pros - Has steadily built something at all three clubs he’s been at. None have looked like going down under him (though that is irrelevant for us you’d like to think). The football is generally well received and, even if results aren’t going his way, he sticks to his eye catching brand of football which is admirable. Is currently available.

Cons - Has NEVER won a promotion as a manager. Is coming off the back of a sacking after spending huge money at Bristol City and never getting the end result. His teams often go on long winning runs but then followed up with huge runs of poor results.

4) Kieron Dyer - Unknown quantity as a manager despite a high class career on the pitch. Has been doing a lot of coaching in recent years without breaking through to the first team role anywhere as he’d hoped.

Pros - Knows the club inside out. Would be likely guided by a wise head like a Terry Butcher or someone of that ilk. Could be a hidden gem as a manager, despite having no experience. Knows the youth well already. Would be cheap. Is currently available.

Cons - Has never managed a club. Huge negative. He would be a big punt right now with no experience behind him.

5) Nigel Pearson - He’s managed for many years and that experience as a manager at a much higher level could be useful. Has also got promoted from this league and has actually done well at his recent teams in this country.

Pros - Performed a bit of a miracle at Watford in his last job (Premier League) but was harshly sacked. Has won promotions from this league. Teams have been known to play good football. Hasn’t been one to turn down a challenge and we’re the sort of club he’d go for (perhaps more so if in the championship though). Notoriously good for getting a short term impact. Would definitely ruffle some feathers of senior pros who absolutely need it. Is currently available.

Cons - A fiery character who perhaps has a bit of Hurst in him with his anger. Probably out of the budget that Evans would pay. League 1 might be beneath him at the moment.

My preference - Paul Cook
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 7:33]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:44 - Nov 27 with 854 viewsfooters

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:43 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Further to that, another legend who may well be interested is Veno. Has been looking for a club of his own for a while. Has experience of the boardroom as well as the training field as was a director at Coventry.

What's Fab up to these days? Your silence on this issue is deafening.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:46 - Nov 27 with 842 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:44 - Nov 27 by footers

What's Fab up to these days? Your silence on this issue is deafening.

Is back in Rotterdam coaching kids, at least was when I spoke to him in May.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:02 - Nov 27 with 802 viewsParky

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:43 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Further to that, another legend who may well be interested is Veno. Has been looking for a club of his own for a while. Has experience of the boardroom as well as the training field as was a director at Coventry.

Phil, do you think we are actually close to Lambert’s departure? My opinion, if Evans stuck with Lambert after last season, surely he will give him this season?
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:03 - Nov 27 with 802 viewsMrTown

Is Venus still assistant manager to Tony Mowbray?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:26 - Nov 27 with 753 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:03 - Nov 27 by MrTown

Is Venus still assistant manager to Tony Mowbray?

Yes, he is.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:31 - Nov 27 with 740 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:02 - Nov 27 by Parky

Phil, do you think we are actually close to Lambert’s departure? My opinion, if Evans stuck with Lambert after last season, surely he will give him this season?

Not sure, to be honest. I think given the importance of going up this season ME won't be as inclined to be patient if things are going awry. I have heard whispers he's sounding out other managers but that doesn't necessarily mean a change is close.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:37 - Nov 27 with 731 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 16:16 - Nov 26 by hatch

Don't get me wrong there's plenty of pros but it's a risky appointment. I agree that tried and tested hasn't worked but when I look at the players that enter management with their former clubs they just seem to have a bit more about them than Dyer.

He's a solid youth coach and will probably be a decent manager one day but I'm not sure a season as important as this for Ipswich is worth allowing him to 'find his feet'.

Magilton did well as a first timer but I feel like he had a bit more about him. I just worry Dyer carries higher risk and I would probably say there's more examples of former players flopping than winning promotion.

I like the guy and would back him, however.

I think Kieron is a far more credible candidate than you suggest. He's a lot further down the line than Jim was when he took over in terms of badges and coaching experience, and also played at a higher level club football-wise, of course.

Think he has a good knowledge of the game from a number of perspectives - and also has a very impressive contacts book - and just needs to be given an opportunity.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:39 - Nov 27 with 721 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:13 - Nov 26 by southnorfolkblue

Terry Butcher has worked under some brilliant managers...and he was rubbish as a manager!

Nash is better qualified to do the job as he is a far more experienced coach.

One name that doesn’t appear to have been mentioned is Nigel Clough. I think that he would be a fairly solid appointment.

Bit harsh on Terry, in particular his spell at Inverness Caledonian Thistle is looked on as a success.
Login to get fewer ads

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 18:23 - Nov 27 with 672 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 17:39 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Bit harsh on Terry, in particular his spell at Inverness Caledonian Thistle is looked on as a success.

His career has been a bit hit and miss, but surprises me how much town fans try and downplay it. He was also Burley’s assistant at Scotland and is massively respected in the game - and is great with the youngsters at the club as a genuinely nice bloke.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 18:32 - Nov 27 with 644 viewsWickets

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:05 - Nov 26 by hype313

Also, a lot of the credit of the success at Leicester was more down to Craig Shakespeare.

Well what's he doing now then ?
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 18:39 - Nov 27 with 631 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 18:23 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

His career has been a bit hit and miss, but surprises me how much town fans try and downplay it. He was also Burley’s assistant at Scotland and is massively respected in the game - and is great with the youngsters at the club as a genuinely nice bloke.

Indeed, really top man, miss seeing him on Life's a Pitch. At the ex-players' do a couple of years back he credited Terry with having a huge role in his career having worked with him extensively during his time at Dundee United when Terry was the assistant manager.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 19:44 - Nov 27 with 558 viewsdeano85

Personaly, if ME was to sack lambert, id appoint Dyer as a caretaker... Usually happens from his current possition...
That way, give him 3 or 4 games while ME interviews potential targets... If he does well, give it to him full time...
You have to wonder the thinking when he was suddenly made U23 boss, almost unexpectedly...
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 21:03 - Nov 27 with 511 viewsChocorange

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 12:37 - Nov 26 by carlo88

Should be the Cowleys, it's a no-brainer.

Perfect next opportunity for them and us.

Huddersfield fan I know said about the Cowleys ‘ they were crap, had no idea ..Ipswich don’t get Crowley’ end quote!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024