Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page 22:26 - May 25 with 3112 viewsDublinBlue84

The Daily Mail obviously either haven't read the #SueGrayReport or they have and are deliberately ignoring the wine on the walls, the fighting, the vomiting, people being rude to security and cleaning staff, etc etc. They're nothing more than a Tory propaganda rag at this stage.
[Post edited 25 May 2022 22:28]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 16:09 - May 26 with 430 viewsmylittletown

Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 12:47 - May 26 by Felstow1978

The recent history of Northern Ireland might lead you to an entirely different conclusion

Why? Northern Ireland is a very specific case.

Most of the most successful countries on earth either have PR or an elected second house which can realistically challenge or overrule the lower house. We have neither.
Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 19:22 - May 26 with 357 viewsRKD

Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 09:49 - May 26 by GlasgowBlue

I think you'll see that Mail lay off Starmer a wee bit over the beer and curry now that Johnson seems secure.

It was only ever being pushed in order to a) deflect from Johnson and b) neuter Starmer's attacks on Johnson over partygate, which it did to an extent.

Plus it got Starmer to blink first and offer his resignation if he is fines, which would put Labour into total disarray if that is the outcome.

Would it put Labour in disarray?

I like Starmer as a politician and as a person and think he would make a good PM, but I struggle to see if he is electable.

To Corbynites he is doomed because he was Corbyn's successor. He doesn't pass the pub test. He doesn't put enough pressure on holding the C***servative party to account.

If he leaves now, it gives Labour enough time to find a route to make Andy Burnham the Labour leader for the next election.

Burnham fought enough for Northern cities during the lockdown to win back the North. He passes the pub test. Mums will fancy him.

Starmer is decent but dull. Burnham is inspirational.

Poll: Edwards goal - shot or cross?

Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 20:08 - May 26 with 314 viewsGlasgowBlue

Daily Fail with another masterpiece front page on 19:22 - May 26 by RKD

Would it put Labour in disarray?

I like Starmer as a politician and as a person and think he would make a good PM, but I struggle to see if he is electable.

To Corbynites he is doomed because he was Corbyn's successor. He doesn't pass the pub test. He doesn't put enough pressure on holding the C***servative party to account.

If he leaves now, it gives Labour enough time to find a route to make Andy Burnham the Labour leader for the next election.

Burnham fought enough for Northern cities during the lockdown to win back the North. He passes the pub test. Mums will fancy him.

Starmer is decent but dull. Burnham is inspirational.

The Burnham dream is just that. A dream.

He isn't an MP. If Starmer resigns there will be a leadership contest. Burnham will be ineligible.

There is no way that Labour will

A) Hold an emergency conference.
B) Agree at that conference that the next elected leader is just a caretaker.
C) Arrange a safe seat for Burnham to stand in a by election (Although that would be the easiest part if one of his people would stand down).
D) Then hold another leadership election.
E) Persuade other candidates not to stand.
F) If they can't do 'E' then guarantee that Burham will win the election of the membership.

Burnham is an election cycle away from being in a position to lead the Labour party.

I think that they would be in disarray if Starmer was to resign because there is still a large part of the membership that is 'Corbynista' and Labour may well end up with one of Ian Lavery, Richard Burgon or Rebecca Wrong Daily.

I don't see a natural centre right successor to Starmer. Cooper would be the logical choice but the left see her as a hangover from the Blair/Brown yeras and disloyal to Corbyn. Reeves is monotone. Wes Streeting is a rising star but he has had health issues, though hopefully fully recovered.

Losing Starmer would let Johnson and co off the hook for a year.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024