Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just close the bloody pubs 19:10 - Mar 19 with 1471 viewsm14_blue

If it's really that important.

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:12 - Mar 19 with 1475 viewssparks

People should take some fecking responsibility rather than trying to push it elsewhere out of selfishness and laziness.

"Oh the governmen havent made a law- so I cant help going to the pub." Morons.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 19:13]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:21 - Mar 19 with 1411 viewsm14_blue

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:12 - Mar 19 by sparks

People should take some fecking responsibility rather than trying to push it elsewhere out of selfishness and laziness.

"Oh the governmen havent made a law- so I cant help going to the pub." Morons.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 19:13]

Totally agree.

I understand the logic behind the nudge theory too but it seems that it can only go so far.

Idiots are gonna idiot until you stop them.
Just close the bloody pubs on 19:25 - Mar 19 with 1372 viewsElderGrizzly

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:21 - Mar 19 by m14_blue

Totally agree.

I understand the logic behind the nudge theory too but it seems that it can only go so far.

If they cary on, they’ll stop themselves pretty soon
Just close the bloody pubs on 19:27 - Mar 19 with 1363 viewsjeera

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:21 - Mar 19 by m14_blue

Totally agree.

Thing is, the situation isn't helped when the owners are so terrified of losing their businesses that they are pleading with regulars on FB etc to not cut them off.

"We are taking all the necessary precautions" and "Our doors are still open" etc.

They need clear direction asap. It's not fair to tell people to not use a service and then stand back and watch it go under. Especially when you rely on it yourself for much of the time.

I hope the grants/loans/whatever are made clear. I can't say I've looked much into it because I'm currently unaffected myself.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:29 - Mar 19 with 1344 viewsfooters

Spotted one solitary soul in the local earlier. So the conversation's probably better than it usually is in there.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:57 - Mar 19 with 1263 viewspeterleeblue

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:27 - Mar 19 by jeera

Thing is, the situation isn't helped when the owners are so terrified of losing their businesses that they are pleading with regulars on FB etc to not cut them off.

"We are taking all the necessary precautions" and "Our doors are still open" etc.

They need clear direction asap. It's not fair to tell people to not use a service and then stand back and watch it go under. Especially when you rely on it yourself for much of the time.

I hope the grants/loans/whatever are made clear. I can't say I've looked much into it because I'm currently unaffected myself.

The grants and loans will filter through by early to mid April.
May be too late by then for a lot of these businesses. A lot of tenanted publicans will simply use the money to live and i suspect hand the keys back in when they realise the business disruption they will still suffer once they get to reopen
Just close the bloody pubs on 21:20 - Mar 19 with 1134 viewseireblue

I would be somewhat concerned that there were two factors of groupthink at work.

Nudge theory.

Bunch of Brexit ministers that have a perception that UK, can do better than EU types.

You maybe able to Nudge some behavioural change, but to stop virus propagation with a specific propensity to infect people, seems to me there is a more definitive way to stop behaviour. A nudge isn’t a guarantee of a certain amount of behavioural change.

Completely un-informed speculation, but maybe the UK Gov all thought they could do something different and better than blunt lock down, hence the initial gentle nudge approach, despite the growth evidence from Italy.
Just close the bloody pubs on 21:32 - Mar 19 with 1081 viewsElderGrizzly

Just close the bloody pubs on 19:27 - Mar 19 by jeera

In a different sector, private nurseries, we are seeing similar confusion.

Most will go under without help, but they aren’t included in any Govt coronavirus help schemes. They were told yesterday, they were “expected” to close. Not a directive, more of a hope.

So most are staying open or asking parents to keep paying while they are shut to ensure a nursery is there when things improve.

The Governments inaction on a number of areas on coronavirus and lack of clarity is woeful
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024